Sunday, February 28, 2010

Saving money

I've been trying to save money now that I'm not working, and I've succeeded in cutting out or trimming back lots of little things without missing them:
1) manicures - I'm doing them myself now and I'm getting better at it

2) cabs - unless it's a safety issue, but 99% of the time the subway is fine

3) expensive drinks at bars - a bottle of wine or a six pack at home is much more economical

4) mp3 purchases - I'm streaming for free on Grooveshark.com, borrowing CDs from friends, and enjoying what I already own

5) brand name beauty/household products - I'm buying whatever's on sale and it's been totally fine! In fact I've gotten to try some higher end hair products because of recent deep discounts at Duane Reade

6) Starbucks - I got a home brewer and have been using it regularly.

The main thing I'm having so much trouble with (and it's a biggie for me) is the food thing. As I type this I'm waiting for a pad thai delivery. :) I have cooked a few times but I rarely feel like taking the time to cook AND eating what I cook. In fact I've wasted some money by planning meals, not feeling like cooking, and letting the ingredients spoil. I have willpower in some areas but so far the joy of cooking has mostly alluded me.

No comments:

Post a Comment