Friday, February 19, 2010

Am I really jaded about theatre? Wow.

Recently I've found myself getting burnt out on theatre. In fact I've been walking around town for weeks composing a blog post in my head about this very topic.

Theatre, especially musical theatre, has been my passion for the better half of my life but lately I've been feeling kind of blah about it, not that excited for the upcoming Broadway season, preferring pop music on my ipod, etc. I've had moments when I think "maybe I should toss the whole Broadway dream. Maybe I should write pop songs instead of musicals, or write for TV, or become a choreographer or something." Now, none of those things are WORLDS away from writing musical theatre (they're all creative and performing art-sy), but this is one of the first times I've even CONSIDERED I could be happy doing ANYTHING besides writing and producing my own musicals. It's how I've defined myself for over a decade.

I'm probably just jaded by the "industry", from five years of seeing it all from inside out, and I'm now romanticizing industries I know less about.

However, last night I finally had a theatre experience that moved me again, that gave me chills and made me feel things. I saw the Gallery Players' mounting of one of my favorite musicals, CAROLINE OR CHANGE, in Brooklyn. I was an intern on CAROLINE's original run at the Public Theater and I've adored this show since then. Being in that rehearsal room was one of the highlights of my life so far, and I realize this especially now that I have some perspective on it. That perfect Tesori/Kushner score makes me excited about musical theatre again. It was bliss to hear it in full again last night, and to sit near people experiencing the show for the first time.

So there is hope I'll recover from my jadedness. I guess I really do need this break I've been given!

No comments:

Post a Comment