Thursday, February 4, 2010

Housework: kinda sucks as much as it sounds

In a reversal from the last five years, my husband will be busy during many of the traditional "workdays" this month while I have unstructured time during the day. I happily agreed to take on all those miscellaneous household tasks that need to happen during the day.

Wow, there is a lot of random stuff. I really appreciate all he has done to keep our lives running in the past. Each task has a hidden aspect that makes it harder or more annoying than it seems on the surface.

Signing for the Fresh Direct (grocery delivery) is easy, but re-packaging the raw chicken breast family pack into individual baggies for the freezer: more complicated and also kind of gross. Taking out the garbage, washing the dishes, picking the dirty socks off the floor, cleaning the cats' litter box...

Oh yeah, and FEEDING the cats -- I totally spaced on this one yesterday and am the worst cat mom ever. I honestly did not realize they eat twice a day now, two smaller portions around 8am and 4pm, part of a health regiment for the fatter cat Blade (I really don't think he is FAT, just thick and athletic). But yesterday I missed the second feeding. The cats didn't seem to mind too much, but now that I think about it they WERE hanging around me a lot and maybe they wanted something. I wish they could just talk. My husband got home at midnight and I confessed I hadn't remembered to feed them. They then wolfed down the food and I felt terrible. I won't forget that one again!

Housework kinda sucks I guess, but a fair price for not sitting at a desk all day I guess. But I can see how it is in fact "work."

1 comment:

  1. It's sick, but I kind of like cleaning... If I didn't need money, I would totally do this all day haha. Not the raw chicken part, though, obviously.

    ReplyDelete