Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I hate going to the doctor

I'm finally catching up with all of my doctor's appointments. I can't believe how much I'd put things off while I was working. I don't think I've been to the dentist in a year and a half... even though I have dental coverage! Ugh, at least I'm getting it together now.

I just got back from my annual physical. My doctor is pretty cool and I've been seeing him for several years, but my appointment just felt bizarre today. First of all, I felt like I couldn't communicate very well; maybe because I was fasting and hadn't had any coffee yet? Maybe, because I felt so much better after hitting the Dunkin Donuts right after.

Anyway, when I told my doctor I wasn't at my job any longer, he asked what I was up to now, and I said "nothing!" and he seemed concerned. I mean, I'm doing THINGS obviously, duh! I don't know. Does becoming increasingly obsessed with online forums count as doing something?

Also he went on a totally random spiel about studies that advise different amounts of alcohol that are okay to drink per day or week. And then he said, "but with you being married and all, I'm not worried about you." Hmm? Kind of a random stereotype, methinks... I mean, it depends who you're married to! If your husband is your best drinking buddy, then maybe you'll be drinking more! :-P

Then we started talking about the "having kids" issue that has begun to come up every time I visit the doctor or GYN, and he reminded me that I'm in my peak fertility now in my mid-20s. Oh my god, how did I ever get so old?!?! Ugh, I can't believe I just typed the word "fertility"; something about that word makes me kind of queasy. I mean, I'd be lying if I said I didn't find all these New York City kids cute as hell, especially when they're well-behaved in restaurants or are asking precocious and thoughtful questions to their parents. But man oh man, I can't BELIEVE nature has designed women to have children at my age! If I were designing things, I'd make 35 a minimum age, not an upper-limit slowing-down age. I mean, I still feel like a kid myself. Eep, now I'm feeling unnecessary anxiety....

Then I almost passed out after accidentally looking at the needle drawing blood, and then I got all depressed when they weighed me and I've gained back 5 pounds. I haven't weighed myself in weeks but knew that was coming. My eating was so terrible on vacation plus I've barely been exercising since it's been so cold. I'm still doing way better than this time last year, but I need to get back on the health wagon.

So for all these reasons, I felt kind of crappy after my appointment, but I regrouped at H&M where I tried on lots of cool jackets. I didn't buy any because I literally don't have room for any more jackets in my closet.... and I shouldn't be spending money on clothes right now either I guess. But it's annoying because I really like the fashions in the stores right now! I love the faux leather jackets, military-style buttons, long tee shirts, bangly jewelry.... I really want to update my wardrobe with some "cool" pieces because I feel like I have like 80% work clothes right now and I just want some cooler pieces. But of course, you stop working and the cash flow decreases.... oh, life is unfair. I wish I'd bought that first jacket I tried on.

This has been your complain-y blog post for the day. Please don't stop reading my blog forever if you found this post annoying; I'll buck up soon.

2 comments:

  1. As a recently-made-single person, I will attest to the fact that I drink FAR more than I did while in a relationship, and not just as a 'recovery' mechanism (although it's good for that too)...

    Practically every single event on my calendar right now is a happy hour of some sort, or is in a venue where alcohol is available and in many cases, expected to be consumed. I mean sure, I could choose not to drink at the events that aren't alcohol-centric, but structurally, social interaction just seems to revolve around it.

    A lot of the difference seems to come in the one-on-one interaction vs. the group interaction. While plenty of one-on-one activities do involve drinking, it's a little bit easier to facilitate conversation and activities without it and your 'purpose' for being there is to be the other half of the conversation/shared experience. In a group dynamic, somehow the alcohol seems to 'hold' everyone around the table or in the situation so that even if you are silent, you are 'doing' something and 'experiencing' something together.

    Anyway, not directly related to your entry per se, and I might not be making total sense, but something I was thinking about just recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! Haha, I find myself going out to a lot of social drinking events/happy hours too.... maybe I'm just not the traditional wifey staying at home cooking dinner, haha. My desire to party with the best of 'em regardless of my marital status remains a goal! "What good is staying all alone in your room...." I say, drinking for all, single or coupled! :)

    ReplyDelete