Monday, March 22, 2010

Motivation follows action

The following have inspired me lately:

--Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns, MD. A friend lent me this book and it has really changed my perspective on a lot of things. Reading it is like several amazing sessions with a cognitive therapist, in my opinion, and I've been recommending it to people. One particularly great chapter is called "Do-Nothingism: How to Beat It" and one thing I took away is the concept that motivation follows action, not the other way around. It's natural to think that one must "get motivated" somehow and then perform tasks, but in fact the act of doing something, ANYTHING, even if unrelated, will create motivation to do more. I also learned lots of other lessons which I may write about at another time. This is definitely I book I can see myself going back to again and again.

--The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism is Seducing America by Dr. Drew Pinksy and S. Mark Young. Another fascinating book which is both a careful look at modern-day celebrity behavior and youth culture, plus an invitation to examine your own narcissistic tendencies (which I admit I certainly do have.... does anyone write a blog and not have some narcissism?).

--The Sarah Silverman Program on Comedy Central. The latest episode made me guffaw with joy. I love the style of this show and it's inspiring me as I brainstorm a comedy web series.

Happy Andrew Lloyd Webber's birthday, everyone, and talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment